Sunday 11 September 2011

on the subject of waste and other things...

I made some observations today ~ I spent it out with my family all day on trains around Itami, the airport, a service station (looking for postcards - btw, japanese people never use postcards so they don't exist. Sorry to disapoint those expecting one) and also a bread shop. I've also fallen into the routine of dinner at 7pm with TV, then shower then bed.

You know how when you go shopping in England there's various asian people, black people, red haired people, blonde, brunette, latino mixed whatever - well I've spent the three days here and seriously, I haven't seen a single other gaijin (foreigner) anywhere. For real. Just sayin'.

I watched a program where famous people have to find out which is the girl and which is the boy from a line up (and it's surprisingly difficult! They all look like really cute young girls! Complete with slim legs and pretty faces...) but I couldn't help but think it was a bit cruel to the actual girls being mistaken for men in the line up. They make them do tasks like kiss and throw a ball to help decide whether it's a girl or not, and only in Japan would this kinda thing be entertainment. XD

Other observations I made, is that they're really big on recycling here, which is great. There's special bins everywhere.

Bread is very varied (like melon bread and coloured bread and spicy fish bread and chocolate croissants...)
Frozen ice-cream-filled croissants in the bakery freezer - great idea!
bread slices the colours of the rainbow ~


And no food waste! At least in my family. If 4 year old Tokishi doesn't finish his breakfast, that's what he'll have for lunch. If he doesn't eat his lunch, then its a snack before dinner. And if he doesn't eat dinner, then it's a make shift snack for the next day...and if he doesn't eat it then mum and dad will. No food is wasted, it's a wonderful thing to see.

And food here is always delicious, always well presented, and instead of being piled up in big portions on one plate it's seperated into lots of little portions on little seperate plates.

Now wasn't all that interesting?

Tomorrow I have placement tests,
and I'm getting a Japanese phone (the prepaid deals from Softbank)
and then bowling maybe
and possibly a night out in Osaka with everyone.

The subject of curfew is yet to be breached, but Chihoko gave me a spare house key upon arrival soo...good times ahead I think. :-) xx 

Now for some Doctor Who on TV Links ~

2 comments:

  1. yay chaz has a blog about her being a gaijin

    Matt P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god it took me like five minutes to work out how to comment on this. The internet is complicated/I am such a dinosaur =/

    Sorry not to get back to you yet! I don't even know where my time is going, mostly fanfic and philosophy? ^^; But I hope you're having awesome fun in Japan and learning lots. Autumn is *just* starting over here, the first leaves are burning up on the ivy, and all the fields are ploughed bare. And I am turning a bit melancholy and strange in a way I quite enjoy ^^

    Have fun! Learn things! How easy is vegetarianism over there, btw? I've always worried about the seafood culture making it difficult (oh island nations, we do love our fish). Be awesome <3

    ReplyDelete